Frequently Asked Questions

Study Abroad Consultants
What is the age limit for a Canadian student visa?

Fortunately, there is no certainty about at what particular age you can get Canadian student visa approval. You can always apply for the same, but the final decision remains with Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

You may come across a certain age limit range (18 years to 35 years) on many online forums, however, as an experienced overseas education counsellor and immigration expert, we say there is no particular age limit to apply for a study permit in Canada. But as an applicant, you must:

  • Get yourself enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Submit proof of financial stability by managing your tuition fees, living expenses in Canada and return tickets.
  • Staying conscious about the Canadian law and obey it. 
  • Submit a police clearance certificate as proof of clean past record.
  • Submit a medical exam certificate to prove your good health condition. 
  • Prove your intentions of leaving Canada upon course completion or study permit expiration to the visa officer.

Meeting the above-mentioned criteria is a must to qualify. While the factors behind visa approval or refusal vary, you must pay attention to every detail while submitting the application, including:

  • Submit all the supporting documents as per the document checklist.
  • Submit clear translation copies for any documents in a language other than English or French.
  • Maintain truthfulness, avoid giving misleading information.
  • Don’t submit incomplete applications.
  • Pay the right amount of fees before the deadline.
  • Clearly convey your intentions behind coming to Canada and choosing a particular college and course.

If you are an aspirant living in a country like India, China, Morocco, the Philippines, Pakistan, Senegal or Vietnam, then you may fast-track your study permit application by applying online under “Student Direct Stream”. Get in touch with our consultants to know more about Canada study visa qualifications,

Who can sponsor me in Canada?

Immigration to Canada through sponsorship programs provides an alternative pathway to apply for permanent residency (PR). Usually, the foreign family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents make use of this immigration route to obtain Canada PR. 

Canada PR through sponsorship by Canadian citizens or newly acquired permanent residents breaks the barrier for foreign family members including spouses, common-law partners, parents, grandparents, siblings and other close relatives who may often fail to secure satisfactory results in English or French proficiency tests. 

As the Canadian government makes family reunification an important goal, you can get sponsored by a person who meets the following requirements:

  • Must be aged 18 years or older, 
  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act,
  • Must be a family relative, 
  • Submit proof of financial stability to provide the basic needs for the person they are looking to sponsor. 

You cannot be sponsored by a relative who 

  • are in prison,
  • have not paid your alimony or child support payments,
  • have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet,
  • got social assistance for reasons other than being disabled,
  • didn’t pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments,
  • sponsored another relative in the past and didn’t meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement. 

It is also mandatory for your sponsor to reside in Canada, however, certain exceptions follow like: 

  • are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and,
  • plan to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate and,
  • are sponsoring your spouse or common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children who have no dependent children. 

Please note that a Canadian sponsor can’t invite their brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild if:

  • one of their parents is still alive.
  • no one knows where their parents are.
  • their parents abandoned them.
  • someone else other than their parents is taking care of them while one or both their parents are alive.
  • their parent is in jail or otherwise, detained.
Can I bring my family to Canada on a student visa?

The good news is that Canadian visa officers will consider study permit applications that include accompanying family members including your spouse and dependent children. 

If a foreign national is approved for a study permit in Canada with their spouse accompanying, then the spouse will be eligible to apply for a spousal open work permit. This work permit will authorize the spouse to work full-time for any employer in Canada for the same period as their partner’s study permit. All minor children are entitled to pursue education at the pre-school, primary, or secondary level of study during their parent’s visa term. 

We would also caution you that including family members on a study permit application may influence the visa officer’s decision.

By the very nature of Canadian study permits being temporary resident permits, including family members might result in objection from the visa officer about your intention to not leave the country at the end of your study term. 

All study permit applicants are asked to submit a statement explaining why they want to pursue education in Canada. The applicant may use this section of the application to explain why they wish to have their spouse and/or children accompany them to Canada. Applicants must also demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support themselves during their first year of study in addition to funds supporting their family. This would include their housing and health insurance needs.

It is also possible for a person to apply for a study permit without their family members, and later submit an amended application requesting authorization for family members to join them in Canada.

Check with our consultants on your parent(s) eligibility to visit on a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) while you are on a study permit in Canada.

How much can students earn in Canada?

In Canada, students are paid as per minimum wage rate which is approximately equal to C$10.25- C$15 per hour amounting to C$400 – C$1000 per month. 

On the Canadian student visa, international students have the permission of working upto 20 hours/week of a paid job. Students enrolled in difficult or intensive courses are recommended by the universities to work for a maximum of 12 hours a week. You are always free to reduce the number of working hours if you feel you are unable to maintain a work-study-life balance. As international students on a study permit, students are encouraged to work either on-campus or off-campus. 

Here is a student average salary in Canada 2021: popular part-time job

  • Customer service representative- CAD 14/hour
  • Cook- CAD 13-15/hour
  • Clerk- CAD 15/hour
  • Sales associate- CAD 12/hour
  • Teacher- CAD 20-22/hour
  • Web designer- CAD 20/hour
  • Merchandiser- CAD 13/hour

Get in touch with our overseas consultants to get the latest statistics. 

How can I get PR in Canada after 1 year?

One of the best ways to get permanent residency (PR) after 1-year study program is to apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after completing your study program in Canada. As a part of the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada decided to count the study program taken online towards PGWP. This will not only help you to gain valuable Canadian work experience but also will help to improve your Express Entry profile in terms of the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score.

Once you have Canadian education, and as well work experience, you may apply to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), which is one of the economic class immigration streams helping international students with work experience transitioning to Canadian PR.

Provinces like Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario allow you to apply for Canadian permanent residence after completing one year of study.

Manitoba offers this opportunity to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) graduates through MPNP’s International Education stream. If you are a STEM graduate then you don’t need to have a job offer from an employer in Manitoba, otherwise, you will need an offer to qualify.

In the case of Newfoundland and Labrador PNP, the International Graduate category is ideal for recent graduates who hold a post-graduation work permit along with a job offer from an employer in Newfoundland and Labrador. Even if you are a recent graduate of a Canadian university or college outside Newfoundland and Labrador, then also you may eligible under this category. Also, as a graduate, you may choose to apply under NLPNP’s Express Entry Skilled Worker category and obtain bonus points for your previous study.

The next option is to apply under New Brunswick PNP’s Express Entry Labour Market stream which also prioritizes international graduates with previous studies in the province.

You can also choose to apply for PR under Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program’s International student stream. It offers international students as well as recent graduates who have an employment offer in hand.

Get in touch with our expert counsellors to find out about the recently open Provincial Nominee Programs.

Can I give birth to a baby while studying in Canada on a student visa? Will my baby get Canadian citizenship?

Yes. You can give birth to a baby as a full-time international student on a study permit in Canada. This will not impact your ability to stay in Canada. Your newborn child can return to Canada as an adult Canadian citizen. 

As a norm, the leave of upto 4 months will be managed at the department level of a University. It means there is no need to inform the University Student Section and CIC about the absence. However, extending leave beyond may have implications in maintaining your study visa and further, applying for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). 

The fact that the baby is Canadian will have ZERO influence on the status of the non-resident parents in Canada. Once your study visa expires you will have to leave the country. You can find other alternatives like apply for PGWP and further qualify for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) for permanent residence. Work or study permit holders who give birth to a child in Canada will need to ensure that medical expenses for pregnancy and delivery are covered by their health insurance

Canada is one of a few developed countries in the world that offers unconditional citizenship to children born in the territory. The newborn child would be a Canadian citizen under jus soli, which is commonly referred to as birthright citizenship. In legal terms, jus soli is the right of anyone born in the territory of a state to nationality or citizenship. Your child can also apply for citizenship in your native country under jus sanguinis. It is a principle of nationality law by which citizenship is determined or acquired by the nationality or ethnicity of one or both parents.

As in the case of international students from India, their newborn child will be treated as a Canadian citizen by birth under jus soli. However, if your child wants to attain Indian citizenship in the future, they will have to cancel their Canadian citizenship. 

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Our education consultants are happy to provide you with regular and authentic updates on universities, colleges, courses and admission procedures etc., Wait no further and enter your E-mail ID to subscribe to our newsletter for free!

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Our education consultants are happy to provide you with regular and authentic updates on universities, colleges, courses and admission procedures etc., Wait no further and enter your E-mail ID to subscribe to our newsletter for free!

Connect with us
Quick Links

© 2020 All rights reserved.

© All rights reserved.